Not-for-profit health insurance for the people of Nevada
Hometown Health is the only locally-owned — and also the largest — not-for-profit health insurance company in Nevada, and it benefits everyone in our state. By offering one of the best provider networks in the region and joining its parent company, Renown Health, in pledging to “make a genuine difference in the health and well-being of the people and communities it serves,” Hometown Health helps members throughout Nevada live their best lives every day.
Here are a few of the ways Hometown Health does it:
- As Nevada’s oldest and largest managed care organization (MCO), Hometown Health has a local, dedicated staff of more than 230* highly-trained, helpful employees who serve over 1,200* employer groups and more than 160,000* insurance plan members.
- Hometown Health’s comprehensive provider network offers nearly 10,000* healthcare providers statewide.
- Partnerships with local not-for-profits help Hometown Health foster health and well-being in the communities it serves.
- Hometown Health provides members with wellness and support services that include Healthy Tracks, an online health and wellness portal, and Motivate U, a fitness intervention program for at-risk individuals.
- HometownRx®, Hometown Health’s pharmacy benefit management (PBM) service, helps commercial, individual and family members save time and money on prescriptions.
- Senior Care Plus, the Medicare Advantage Plan from Hometown Health, provides more than 17,000* Medicare beneficiaries with a truly exceptional level of service and support.
*Figures as of FY2018
A passion for service
When a Senior Care Plus member with diabetes recently needed to fill an essential but expensive insulin prescription that she couldn’t afford, Jacki stepped in.
As a Pharmacy Liaison for Hometown Health’s Medicare Advantage Program, Senior Care Plus, Jacki was concerned about what any delay in medication might mean for the member and reached out to her colleagues on the pharmacy team for assistance. “We all work hard to help our members,” said Jacki, “but I knew in this particular case we would have to work even harder.”
Pictured (L-R): Jacki, Winnie and Amber
Amber, the Senior Care Plus Managed Care Pharmacist, was familiar with this particular member, as she had previously conducted a comprehensive medication review with her. It was during this review that Amber realized the member’s medical situation was extremely challenging. “I was sad for her, and I wanted to do whatever I could to prevent further suffering and further complications from uncontrolled diabetes,” said Amber. “This member has to use insulin, and I was determined to figure out a way to get her the medication she needed as cost-effectively as possible. That’s when I brought in Winnie.”
Winnie, another Pharmacy Liaison, started working the phones. “I needed the entire Renown Health system to work together, and in this case that’s exactly what happened,” said Winnie. “We were able to get the pharmacy at Renown’s Healthcare Center to mail an emergency supply of insulin to our member.”
Once the member was stable, the team went to work to ensure she would have continued access to the insulin she needed. Amber worked with the member’s endocrinologist to make sure the insulin
prescription, along with other medications, were the most cost-effective ones available. She also coordinated with Renown Home Care to confirm that follow-up visits with a licensed nurse were scheduled.
Finally, the team worked with the Senior Care Plus mail order prescription program and arranged for insulin deliveries to the member’s home to make sure she would never go without the medication she needs to stay healthy and out of the hospital.
“If we can make life easier for our members,” said Jacki, “that’s what we want to do.”
In this case, that’s exactly what the Senior Care Plus pharmacy team did.